We are deep into winter but don't get discouraged. I have just started a few bean plants in my basement to see how they will do! Keep checking for updates.




Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Seed Starting

Everyone has those pesky little questions about how to begin your own seeds.  Step one is to build yourself a seed starting stand.  Yeah you can go buy one for 200 dollars but i built one for just about $70 including wood, lights, power strip, and timer.

I decided to make my stand 4 feet long by 2 feet wide.  This will fit up to 4 standard trays on each tier.  My stand is also 4 feet high with two tiers.  I took 2 x 4s and ripped them in half.  This is what I used for all my lumber (cost effective).

Here is the list of supplies I used:

5  -  2"x4"x8' ripped in half
4  -  Florecent light fixtures
1  -  Box of florecent light bulbs
1  -  Power strip
1  -  Wall timer

You can figure out quite easily how to build the stand and ill post a picture soon so you can take a look.  I have had great success with my stand and as a result my garden has grown leaps and bounds.  Not to mention it is very satisfying growing your garden from nothing but the seeds of every plant.

Please give me your questions and I will gladly answer them.  Keep checking back!

2 comments:

  1. I am interested in planting my own strawberry plants, but I had heard that once you plant them no strawberries will grow the first year. Is this true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a good time to plant strawberries is spring time. You must then cut them back and renovate the plants before winter and cover them with straw. The following year will produce an abundance crop. Happy growing!

    ReplyDelete